Home of Manuel Gayoso de Lemos, District Governor of Natchez, 1794
Manuel Gayoso de Lemos was appointed Governor of the district of Natchez in 1787. In
1794, he was granted land there by the Governor of Louisiana, Baron de Carondelet, upon
which he constructed the house pictured on this page. It was called Concordia (or,
sometimes, Concord). Most of the lavish furnishings were imported from Spain. In 1797,
he was promoted to Governor of the Province of Louisiana. He died in New Orleans, from
yellow fever, in 1799.
The following is from a U. S. Supreme Court case involving the issue of legal ownership
of Concordia in 1850:
"That, whereas, on 10 September in the year 1794, there was granted by the Baron de
Carondelet, Governor of Louisiana, unto Don Manuel Gayoso de Lemos a tract or parcel of
land known by the name of Concordia, situated, lying and being in the Mississippi
Territory, about half a league northeast of the fort of Natchez, containing one thousand
acres or arpents, with the appurtenances."
|The exact dates of the image above and the one at the top of the page
are unknown, but appear to have been taken in the late 1800's.
|In 1940, only the staircase remained
THE BURNING OF CONCORD
Concord Mansion Fire
New York Times, March 24, 1901
New Orleans - March 23, 1901 - Fire has destroyed a historical mansion at Natchez, Miss. -
Concord (also known as Concordia). The house was occupied by Gov. Manuel Gayoso de
Lemas, who named it Concord to symbolize the unity which then existed between the
citizens, Indians and Spanish Government.
The house was afterward occupied by Gov. Gayoso's successor, Don Stephen Minor. It
remained in possession of the Minors until a few years ago, when it was bought by Dr.
Stephen Kelly, formerly of Natchez, but now president of the 5th National Bank, New York.
His son and bride are now at Melrose, another ante-bellum mansion at Natchez.
Concord was a beautiful residence of the Spanish style of architecture. Two circular
flights of marble steps led from the ground to the second floor. Much that was rare in the
way of furniture was burned with the house.
In the early days, Concord was the scene of the most magnificent entertainments ever
given in Natchez. Gen. Anthony Wayne, Lafayette, McCleary, Col. Winthrop Sargent,
Jefferson Davis and Judah P. Benjamin were among those entertained there.
It was at one time the home of Phillip Nolan, the original character of Edward Everett
Hale's novel, "The Man without a Country." The last entertainment given in the house
was that tendered to the Duke and Duchess of Manchester.