|The Methodist Church in Washington was organized in 1799 by Rev. Tobias Gibson. It was the first Methodist Church organized in Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi. The first building was constructed in 1805 and burned in 1810. Another building was built in 1812 and used until this building was constructed in 1828. It was in the second building, located on the grounds of Jefferson College, that the Mississippi Statehood Convention was held in 1817, to draft Mississippi's first constitution. Washington Methodist Church is still active, and has the oldest continually meeting congregation in the state and the second oldest church building in Mississippi. The black and white photographs were taken in 1936.