|Assembly Hall, at one time known as de Frances Tavern, was constructed in
1809. It was used as a meeting place for the legislative board of the
Mississippi Territory. The photos on this page were taken in 1933 during the
National Historic Buildings Survey. Sadly, this historic building is no more.
It was destroyed by fire, not long after a grant had been secured to restore
In 1817, the Mississippi Statehood Convention was held in the town of
Washington, in the Methodist Church building. In 1830, Jefferson College
(established in 1802) purchased that building and it stands today, along with
a monument listing the names of the delegates to the convention.
To see photos of the Washington Methodist Church, click here.
To see photos of Jefferson College, click here.
Town of Washington,
Adams County, Mississippi