|Old Methodist Church, Washington, MS
|The Methodist Church in Washington was organized in 1799 by Rev. Tobias Gibson. It was
the first Methodist Church organized in Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi. The first
building was constructed in 1805 and burned in 1810. Another building was built in 1812
and used until this building was constructed in 1828. It was in the second building, located
on the grounds of Jefferson College, that the Mississippi Statehood Convention was held
in 1817, to draft Mississippi's first constitution. Washington Methodist Church is still active,
and has the oldest continually meeting congregation in the state and the second oldest
church building in Mississippi. The black and white photographs were taken in 1936.
|The Old Methodist Church as it looks today.