Photos taken between 1880 - 1900
Historic Whitworth College, founded in 1859, served as an all female Methodist
sponsored institution from 1865-1928. In 1928, it became a liberal arts junior
college as part of the Millsaps System. In 1937, the Methodist Conference
withdrew support, beginning a long period of decline and eventual
abandonment. It is designated as a Mississippi Landmark and is, also, on the
National Register of Historic Places.
In 1999, the buildings were renovated and it became the campus of the
Mississippi School of the Arts - a statewide residential school that provides
advanced studies of programs in music, theater, visual arts, dance, literary arts
and media arts for artistically gifted eleventh and twelfth grade students.
|Mary Jane Lampton Auditorium
|Whitworth College Picnic at Mikas Plantation