|The Disappearance of Storyville
|The wide street in the foreground is Canal Street and the prominent building with the arch,
facing Canal is the Southern Railroad Terminal designed by Daniel Burnham and constructed
in 1908. It was demolished after the Union Passenger Terminal was built in 1954. The train
sheds stretching out behind Southern Terminal parallel Basin Street, one of Storyville's
boundaries. You can see Krauss Department store just beyond the train station; Krauss
opened in 1903. Some time after Storyville was closed, Krauss purchased virtually the entire
200 block of Basin Street, and constructed warehouses and parking lots on the spots where
the mansions of Tom Anderson, Josie Arlington and Lulu White had once stood.
|Above, the impressive Southern Railroad Terminal.
Right, Basin Street after the Terminal and train sheds
were gone. The land where the station and train
sheds stood was designated as the "Garden of the
Americas." Monuments dedicated to 3 Latin
American heroes were erected along Basin Street
between Canal and the Municipal Auditorium.
|Basin Street, looking south from St. Louis Street, during demolition of train
sheds; Southern Terminal can be seen in the distance on Canal Street; 1954.
|Same view as above, closer to Canal Street; rear of Southern Terminal can be seen clearly;
buildings on the right, part of the Krauss Department Store complex. The Saenger Theatre
(left of Terminal, facing Canal) was built in 1925, on a narrow block, which, interestingly,
allowed access to it from 4 streets. It was designed by the firm of Emile Weil & Associates.
Prior to the building of the theater, this square was filled with three-level townhouses; six
faced Canal Street, four faced the side of the Southern Terminal and four faced N. Rampart
Street. Mahogany Hall and The Palace, Lulu White and Josie Arlington's sporting palaces,
once stood to the right in this photo, where the large Krauss building is now located.
|Basin Street, looking north from Iberville Street during the train sheds demolition, 1954. The
steeple from the Yellow Fever Mortuary Chapel, on N. Rampart Street, can be seen in the distance.
|Basin, looking north from Iberville after some of the work on the neutral ground had been
completed. This is a wider view and a couple of the Iberville Housing Project buildings,
which replaced most of Storyville, can be seen on the left. The Municipal Auditorium, or
part of it, can be spotted in the distance, to the left.
|Same as photo above, different angle.
|Back to Page 1: Storyville & the Birth of Jazz
Back to New Orleans & the Birth of Jazz
Old New Orleans Index
Whispers - Home
|When the night falls on Storyville,
if the women don't get ya, the music will.
-- J. R. Robertson, from the album, "Storyville"