Mardi Gras Day, 1907 - corner of Canal and Carondelet.  The distinctive Queen Anne-style building
once housed the Pickwick Club.  It was demolished in the 1940's to make way for Gus Mayer
Department Store.
In the distance, on the next corner (at Canal and Baronne), the building with the
cupola was the home of
the Chess, Checkers and Whist Club, famous because of the membership
of New Orleans international
chess champion, Paul Morphy.  This building was demolished in the
1930's to make way for a Walgreen's
drugstore.  Gus Mayer closed in the 1980's; Walgreen's still
occupies the site at Canal and Baronne.
Rex Parade, 1907
The Chess, Checkers and Whist Club, dressed for Mardi Gras, 1920.