|Madame Begue's, 1903
|A Sunday morning breakfast, Madame Begue's, 1894
|Begue's, early 1900's
|Madame Begue cooking in her kitchen, date unknown
|Breakfast at Madame Begue's
|Elizabeth Kettenring came to New Orleans from Germany in 1853. She married Louis Dutreuil
and opened a restaurant in the French Quarter in 1863. After Dutreuil's death, she married
Hippolyte Begue and changed the restaurant's name from Dutrey's to Begue's.
Madame Begue served only one meal, a "second breakfast," at 11:00 a.m., a popular time for
those who had been at work since before dawn in the Quarter and on the docks. When
tourists came to the city for the Cotton Centennial in 1884, the late breakfast at Madame
Begue's became very popular and this is where the concept of "brunch" originated!
Madame Begue died in 1906. In 1914, Tujague's Restaurant, which had been in business just
a few doors down the block since 1856, bought Madame Begue's Restaurant and building.
Tujague's, a favorite of locals and tourists alike, remains in the same location today.
|The link to this page is:
Back to Old New Orleans
Whispers - Home
|Madame Begue's, early 1900's
|Hippolyte and Elizabeth Begue, date unknown
|Left & above: Hippolyte Begue