|Lafayette Square - This is the fourth of five buildings in which the congregation of First Presbyterian has worshipped. The first building, constructed in 1819, was on St. Charles Avenue. The second building was erected on Lafayette Square in 1835; it was destroyed by fire in 1854 and immediately rebuilt. The church was almost totally destroyed in the 1915 hurricane; again, it was rebuilt immediately - this is the building pictured above and below. In 1938, the church was sold to the federal government and demolished in preparation for a new federal office building. The fifth church was constructed on South Claiborne and Jefferson Avenues and the congregation continues to worship there.